A critical requirement for software accessibility is keyboard support as a complete
alternative to pointing devices (mouse, etc.).
Keyboard support is comprised of command key, focus key, and keyboard navigation.
RadPanelBar will seamlessly switch between mouse and keyboard navigation.
In order to configure keyboard support with RadPanelBar its KeyboardNaviagationSettings should be set:
<telerik:RadPanelBar ID="RadPanelBar1" runat="server" >
<KeyboardNavigationSettings CommandKey="Alt" FocusKey="M" />
The KeyboardNavigationSettings exposes two properties to configure
the keyboard combination that sets focus to the control:
- FocusKey: An upper-case letter or number.
- CommandKey Ctrl , Alt, Shift, or any combination of two of these keys.
When there are multiple PanelBars on a given page, each of them may have a different activation combination.
In this particular example, the [CommandKey] and the [FocusKey] can be customized in the Demo Configurator.
Once the RadPanelBar is focused (by pressing [CommandKey] + [FocusKey]):
- Navigate among items using Down and Up arrows.
- Select (trigger click on) item by pressing Enter, when item is active.
- Expand/Collapse sub-item list of an item by pressing Space.
- Press Ctrl + Up arrow to move to parent.
- Press Home to focus the first sibling item.
- Press End to focus the last sibling item.
Note: It is recommended to avoid [CommandKey] + [FocusKey] combinations matching keyboard shortcuts used in browsers.
If the combination coincides with an existing browser shortcut the control may be unable to focus.