A critical requirement for software accessibility is keyboard support as a complete
alternative to pointing devices (mouse, etc.).
Keyboard support is comprised of command key, focus key, and keyboard navigation.
RadToolBar will seamlessly switch between mouse and keyboard navigation.
In order to configure keyboard support with RadToolBar its KeyboardNaviagationSettings should be set:
<telerik:RadToolBar ID="RadToolBar1" runat="server" >
<KeyboardNavigationSettings CommandKey="Alt" FocusKey="M" />
The KeyboardNavigationSettings exposes two properties to configure
the keyboard combination that sets focus to the control:
- FocusKey: An upper-case letter or number.
- CommandKey Ctrl , Alt, Shift, or any combination of two of these keys.
When there are multiple ToolBars on a given page, each of them may have a different activation combination.
In this particular example, the [CommandKey] and the [FocusKey] can be customized in the Demo Configurator.
Once the RadToolBar has been focused (by pressing [CommandKey] + [FocusKey]):
- To navigate among RadToolBar items use Left and Right arrows.
- To perform a click on the active item press Enter.
- То еxpand contents of an item (for example its drop-down) press Space or use the Down arrow.
- To collapse an expanded drop-down press Esc, while drop-down item is active.
- To navigate among the drop-down items use Down and Up arrows.
- To select the current drop-down item press Enter.
Note: It is recommended to avoid [CommandKey] + [FocusKey] combinations matching keyboard shortcuts used in browsers.
If the combination coincides with an existing browser shortcut the control may be unable to focus.